I’ll be honest, one of my ultimate favorite foods as a kid was a breaded chicken patty. I mean, who else wouldn’t love what’s basically a huge chicken nugget, in a bun, with one of my favorite sauces, BBQ sauce? As I’ve grown up and my tastes have evolved, I’ve grown to love Buffalo sauce on chick’n (and when I say “chick’n”, I mean vegan “chicken”). Vegan chicken…what an oxymoron, amirite?! But lemme tell you something…it exists, and it is DELICIOUS.
That’s where Boca Vegan Chick’n comes into play. The patties are made from soy and wheat protein, and surprisingly contain MORE protein (12 grams) than its meat counterpart (10 grams). One patty is 150 Calories and has 55% less fat than chicken patties. As for flavor, I’d say they’re spot-on!
Now, you’re probably thinking, “This sandwich is gonna need a bun! … a vegan bun.” Well, you’re right. And there is a great option out there. The Arnold brand, commonly sold at Target, is vegan. The more you know.
the secret vegan weapons for this recipe 🙂
Here’s the finished product, paired with the lovely Surly X-tra Citra Pale Ale.
Buffalo Chick’n Sandwich
- 1 package Boca Vegan Chick’n patties (4 pieces)
- 1/2 cup Buffalo sauce
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 4 buns
- Lettuce leaves
- Tomato slices
- Pickles (or whatever other toppings you desire)
- Follow Your Heart vegan ranch or Veganaise (vegan mayo)
1. To prepare the sauce, heat the Buffalo sauce over medium heat in a small pan, just until it starts to bubble. Then stir in cornstarch and whisk until completely combined and thickened. Once it’s thick, remove from heat and let it stand to cool.
2. Cook Chick’n patties either by baking in a 425 degree oven for 12-15 min, or browning on top of the stove with a little bit of oil.
3. Take cooked Chick’n patties and coat each patty in the Buffalo sauce, dip on both sides.
4. Spread ranch or Veganaise on both sides of buns, then add desired toppings and place Chick’n in the sandwich.
Makes 4 servings.